Dark Days, Terracotta Clay

Almost a month ago now, I made this small vase-shaped pot from terracotta clay. I originally painted it differently but after starting my pomegranate collection I decided to overhaul the initial design and make it conform with the rest of my terracotta works. So with a bit of water and sponge I wiped off all the paint and started a fresh clay canvas. In retrospect I wish I had, but don’t think I ever did, take properly documented photos of the ‘before’.. largely because it was a bit of a haphazard ugly disappointment. Floaty washed out pink petals with green runny dripping stems.. really average (even by my standards).

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

I was hesitant about the black background.. and more than one pair of eyebrows were raised by family members at the outset but I kind of like it. I’m generally averse to black but there is a boldness about it, and once it gets fired and glazed, it will make the other colours pop!

I wonder also if I should leave the black matte and only shiny glaze the areas of the image. We’ll see.. Very soon I will be making a trip to the kilns again!

x GP

Advertisements